Huge ritual monument found hidden near Stonehenge

Huge ritual monument found hidden near Stonehenge

The super-henge of Durrington Walls has been hiding a secret for thousands of years: a row of 90 massive standing stones

A huge ritual monument which dates from the time of Stonehenge has been discovered hidden under the bank of a nearby stone-age enclosure.

Durrington Walls, a roundish ‘super-henge’ has long puzzled archaeologists because one side is straight while the rest of the structure is curved.

As early as 1810, historian Richard Colt Hoare suggested that its shape had been left ‘much mutilated’ by centuries of agriculture.

But now ground penetrating radar has found that the straight edge is actually aligned over a row of 90 massive standing stones which once stood 15ft high, and formed a c-shaped arena which has not been seen for thousands of years.

The stone line, which curves into a c-shape towards one end, is likely to have marked a ritual procession route, and is thought to date from the same time as the sarsen circle at Stonehenge.

The earliest phase of Durrington Walls with its line of megaliths
    Archaeologists believe the stones were pushed over and a bank built on top, but they are still trying to work out exactly why they were built. Nothing exists like it in the world.
    “It’s utterly remarkable,” said Professor Vince Gaffney, of the University of Bradford. “It’s just enormous. It is definitely one of the largest stone monuments in Europe and is completely unique. We’ve never seen anything like this in the world.

“We can’t tell what the stones are made of, but they are the same height as the sarsens in the Stonehenge circle, so they may be the same kind.
    “It was probably for a ritual of some sort, or it could have marked out an arena. These monuments were very theatrical. This a design to impress and empower.
    “Not only does the new evidence demonstrate a completely unexpected phase of monumental architecture at one of the greatest ceremonial sites in prehistoric Europe, the new stone row could well be contemporary with the famous Stonehenge sarsen circle or even earlier.”
    The completed super-henge after the stones were toppled over and buried under the right bank
    Durrington Walls, which sits in a depression not far from the River Avon, near Amesbury, Wiltshire, is one of the largest known henge monuments, measuring around 1,640 feet in diameter and built around 4,500 years ago in the Neolithic, or new stone age.
    It is surrounded by a ditch of up to 54ft wide and a bank of more than three foot high and is built on the same summer solstice alignment as Stonehenge. Some archaeoolgists have suggested that the builders of Stonehenge lived at Durrington. A nearby wooden structure, called Wood Henge was thought to represent the land of the living while Stonehenge represented the realm of the dead.
    But the discovery of the stones suggests that Durrington Walls had a far earlier and less domestic history than has previously been supposed.
    Durrington Walls is around 1.5 miles from Stonehenge
    The Bradford archaeologists have been working alongside an international team of experts as part of the Stonehenge Hidden Landscapes project which has been mapping the entire area around with the latest technology.
    “Everything previously written about the Stonehenge landscape and the ancient monuments within it will need to be re-written,” said Paul Garwood, Senior Lecturer in Archaeology at the University of Birmingham and principle prehistorian on the project.

The stones would have been as tall as some of those at Stonehenge
    Dr Nick Snashall, National Trust Archaeologist for the Avebury and Stonehenge World Heritage Site, said the new results were providing ‘unexpected twists in the age old tale.’
    “These latest results have produced tantalising evidence of what lies beneath the ancient earthworks at Durrington Walls. The presence of what appear to be stones, surrounding the site of one of the largest Neolithic settlements in Europe adds a whole new chapter to the Stonehenge story.”
    The research will be presented at the British Science Festival in Bradford this week.

Ancient Alien Newbie!
    You've gotta laugh. Every time some archaeologists find something new they qualify it with the word "ritual". In archaeological terms that means they haven't got a sodding clue what it is or what it was used for. Maybe they will apply some common sense this time and find the real answer, rather than conjure up visions of pre-historic mans rave parties honouring some unknown pagan god.

Sounds like an interesting find.

Ancient Alien Member hellostone's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i dont know how to ask.... but, when you design area pi doesnt it look like a spiral? numerically speaking. does it change anything else? i'll just leave it there otherwise.
    there is a connection. i dont know if its... what. its making a connection to the now. i have a million thoughts run thru my mind and sense of being that things happen to quick with presence. before i can begin to say,... hey look! everything runs together and .... its just ...... never mind! i miss the good ole days when i didnt have to explain myself. i could just take it to next level and didnt influence my thoughts by today's senses. it was about being free. you could allow yourself. its so odd.

PS!! DO YOU REMEMBER THAT GAME? WASNT IT THE BEST WITH COLA?!!! (what an interesting find)

ok, heres some sci fi for you, just to entertain your thoughts. what if all those ancient sites were given the way to travel the light? do you think the scary ones would be inca or aztec? perhaps a bit of mayan? about those human sacrafices? stonehenge was not. it was a place you BROUGHT people to buried... it was not a sacrafice. it was a hope to be reborn. it wasnt a throwaway place. so what if? i dont remind you of anything. -dear ed, please make me look good.

i hate being uncertain about the future. it bugs me

and we are not monkeys. i was told for sure. do we look like d-heads? cause thats what they look like to me!!
    that is an example of the many laughs i had. i was never scared during my participation of events. i never laughed so hard about many truths! we believe that?!!!! and its so hard to remember. i have to be triggered now. i have to be reminded of little things of revelation that made me laugh.

the thoughts that run thru my mind, we are an element of light. we show up clear. thru the air we breath and sun and substance we developed a physical state. we appear. we didnt evolve.
    anyway, so what who cares?!!! i'm tryin to catch the next flash out of here!
    people do show up clear. i know
    its so hard to get into the spirit. i'm such a depressed person. if u didnt want anything wouldnt you be depressed? it all ruins me. i guess. what i want is the spirit. i hate being disconnected. for what? what gain?
    and dont ever think it was some alienation feeling. it was very holy. you have to believe.
    Last edited by hellostone; 10-13-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Ancient Alien Member
    What a shame this forum has degraded to the Marlene - Hellostone show. I guess it was inevitable. Marlene -- time to take on the role others have taken in the past dealing with your irrational and idiotic posts. Hellostone post such as found above and others have completely eclipsed your continuous postings. Compare the Hellostone ranting and frothing at the mouth comments to the Mojo post. All yours. Just stopped by to see how it was going. Too bad. Bye. NN

Blog Entries
    WELL OF COURSE I DRINK!!!! i'm going along my little agnostic life when BAM! i get slapped upside the head with something larger than life. should i wait until the proper time that it gets brought up in conversation to talk about it? because the conversation is only legit when i talk about religion OR aliens. right?
    your both zealots. one for religion and for one aliens!
    maybe i should be one of those people who dial 911- i seen lights in the sky? yea, i seen em and then they were gone. no. nothing else to speak of. it was just lights. ...... just like everybody claims. yea i seen these beings that were under 8 billion years void of light. i think they might of been grey. yea! thats it. thats my story.

HEY I SEEN A LIGHT ONCE. IT HAPPENED JUST LIKE EVERYBODY SAYS IT DOES. IT MAKES ME CONFUSED. to be honest...... changes come thru it. and it was always so. and you would never know the difference unless i said something
    i dont remind you of anything.

every ancient discovery they unearth now is because the past is a place for expression!!! its happening now! and left behind from the beginning. IT WAS ALWAYS SO!!!!! do u not =
    actually i remind myself of a tool song. its a three ring circus, right stonehenge?
    f*ck your short memories.
    Last edited by hellostone; 10-14-2017 at 06:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    ok people. heres the deal with the past. it makes no sense. because, its always been so. you can open up a book anywhere and it wont make sense. learn to equate the ancient discoveries with the present. and it unravels. it doesnt matter where you look. you make an ancient find only to find that it predates the original guess. IT WILL ALWAYS BE IN THE PAST. and the people of that time are always like, its always been so. no matter what time of day it was.
    quit burying the past. its about the present. its relevant today as that is the point.

heres my sarcasm.... i dont know, do you have a better sense of time travel? think you can change it? do ya?
    did you?
    the past is a place for expression and it wont change. it will always remain in the past. even when you got that figured out. it goes further into the past. its a light. it will predate itself when needed.
    hence! the miracle of prophecy!
    and i still dont remind you of anything. do i?
    just say when.

do you understand why its called the rising of the sun? when you realize the unexpected happened today. and its out of time. the sun will set still. if you could ever see.
    p.s. what an interesting find on up. again... f*ck your short memories.
    Last edited by hellostone; 10-14-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    time is an article not an element. its something we read. and it repeats if we still dont understand
    Last edited by hellostone; 10-14-2017 at 08:21 PM.