Ancient Alien Senior Member Marlene's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Article on Incident:

UFOs Over Washington DC 1952

One of the most witnessed UFO sightings took place in one of the last places you would think. Right over Washington, DC in restricted air space seen by thousands of people.
    The sightings occurred not just once but over a period of two weeks. The first sighting occured on July 19/20 1955 and the second on July 26/27 1955 a week later. The sightings were confirmed by many reputable sources including pilots, radar operators and endless civilian witnesses. There were many photos and video taken of the UFOs that further substantiate the evidence of the event.
    Radar operators first reported seeing the unidentified objects at 11:40 p.m. on Saturday, July 19, 1952. At the time there were no established flight plans heading in that direction or reported aircraft in the area. The "UFO fleet" were said to be moving between 100 mph and over 7,000 mph at times and moving in sporadic patterns that were not common for aircraft.
    "We knew immediately that a very strange situation existed . . . their movements were completely radical compared to those of ordinary aircraft" said Harry Barnes, a senior air-traffic controller at Washington National Airport.
    Even the air traffic controllers could visually see the objects in the sky and confirmed that they were actually there.
    When the UFOs started to approach the White House Harry Barnes called for jets to be scrambled from nearby Andrews Air Force Base. Staff Sgt. Charles Davenport was quoted seeing an orange, reddish light that "would appear to stand still, then make an abrupt change in direction and altitude . . . this happened several times"
    The jets that were scrambled were delayed and never visually came in contact with the supposedly alien visitors in the air. Although when they landed the ships were back on the radar almost as if they were taking precautions or perhaps even taunting the fighters. For all we know they may have still been there, just using some sort of cloaking type technology.
    After this the ships disappeared off of the radar and out of site and weren't seen again for a week.
    The UFOs Came Back

At 8:15 p.m. on Saturday, July 26, 1952 a pilot and a stewardess were the first to spot something strange in the air above Washington and within seconds these objects were back on the radar at Andrews Air Force Base exhibiting the same erratic movements as before.
    A master sergeant was quoted later saying "these lights did not have the characteristics of shooting stars. There was no trails . . . they traveled faster than any shooting star I have ever seen"
    The decision was made to scrable jets again and hunt down the unidentified flying objects but the same thing happened as before. As soon as they got close enough for visual confirmation they would zig and zag and simply disappear.
    Lt. William Patterson, a wingman, was one of the only fighters in the air that saw the objects. In fact, he stated that four white "glows" followed his jet and eventually ended up surrounding it before taking off in all directions.
    After this the objects did not return to Washington and no one really knows what they were or what they were doing there.
    The Official Government Response

Not surprisingly the officail Government response was that the sightings were not aliens from outer space but a weather phenomena known as temperature inversion. The idea is that lights from the ground bounce off of clouds and moisture in the air and create the illusion from the ground that there are craft flying in the air.
    This however does not explain the sighting in the air by Lt. William Patterson whos jet was eventually surrounded by the crafts and the multiple radar blips following them making strategic turns and moving at substantially different speeds.
    The National Weather Bureau seems to completely disprove the Governments statement as well stating "such an inversion ordinarily would appear on a radar screen as a steady line, rather than as single objects as were sighted on the airport radarscope." This makes the claims by the Government very suspect.

Check out the link for videos and more info:

http://alien-ufo-research.com/ufos-over-dc/

Last edited by Marlene; 06-19-2015 at 12:23 PM.

The photo is not from the sighting. Also, note the below:
    In response to the INS "shoot-down" stories, to calm rising public anxiety and answer the news media's questions about the sightings — and, hopefully, to slow down the numbers of UFO reports being sent to Blue Book, which were clogging normal intelligence channels — Air Force Major Generals John Samford, USAF Director of Intelligence, and Roger Ramey, USAF Director of Operations, held a well-attended press conference at the Pentagon on July 29, 1952. It was the largest Pentagon press conference since World War II. Press stories called Samford and Ramey the Air Force's two top UFO experts.

Samford was heavily influenced by Capt. Roy James, who had discussed the sightings with him earlier in the day and who also spoke at the conference. Samford declared that the visual sightings over Washington could be explained as misidentified aerial phenomena (such as stars or meteors). Samford also stated that the unknown radar targets could be explained by temperature inversion, which was present in the air over Washington on both nights the radar returns were reported.
    In addition, Samford argued that the radar contacts were not caused by solid material targets, and therefore posed no threat to national security. In response to a question as to whether the Air Force had recorded similar UFO radar contacts prior to the Washington incident, Samford admitted that there had been "hundreds" of such contacts where Air Force fighter interceptions had taken place, but stated they were all "fruitless." The conference proved to be successful "in getting the press off our backs", Ruppelt later wrote.

Among the witnesses who supported Samford's explanation was the crew of a B-25 bomber, which had been flying over Washington during the sightings of July 26–27. The bomber was vectored several times by National Airport over unknown targets on the airport's radarscopes, yet the crew could see nothing unusual. Finally, as a crew member related, "the radar had a target which turned out to be the Wilson Lines steamboat trip to Mount Vernon... the radar was sure as hell picking up the steamboat." Air Force Captain Harold May was in the radar center at Andrews AFB during the sightings of July 19–20. Upon hearing that National Airport's radar had picked up an unknown object heading in his direction, May stepped outside and saw "a light that was changing from red to orange to green to red again...at times it dipped suddenly and appeared to lose altitude." However, May eventually concluded that he was simply seeing a star that was distorted by the atmosphere, and that its "movement" was an illusion. At 3 a.m. on July 27, an Eastern Airlines flight over Washington was told that an unknown object was in its vicinity; the crew could see nothing unusual. When they were told that the object had moved directly behind their plane, they began a sharp turn to try to see the object, but were told by National Airport's radar center that the object had "disappeared" when they began their turn. At the request of the Air Force, the CAA's Technical Development and Evaluation Center did an analysis of the radar sightings. Their conclusion was that "a temperature inversion had been indicated in almost every instance when the unidentified radar targets or visual objects had been reported." Project Blue Book would eventually label the Washington radar objects as "mirage effects caused by double inversion" and the visual sightings as "meteors coupled with the normal excitement of witnesses." In later years two prominent UFO skeptics, Dr. Donald Menzel, an astronomer at Harvard University, and Philip Klass, a senior editor for Aviation Week magazine, would also argue in favor of the temperature inversion/mirage hypothesis

Wiki

I'll ask the same question the believers always ask - "Do you consider the testimony of pilots to be unreliable?"

Harte

Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell

Ancient Alien Senior Member Marlene's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by harte View Post
    The photo is not from the sighting. Also, note the below:

Wiki

I'll ask the same question the believers always ask - "Do you consider the testimony of pilots to be unreliable?"

Harte[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [/SUP]

Harte, if you noticed I did not comment on the article. I believe that there are many UFO sightings that are real and witnessed by many. I also believe that the powers that be who do not want disclosure will do all in their power to explain to us what we are seeing, as if we are blind. Some people saw the UFO as alien while others said they saw no such thing and it was explained away by those who worked for the ones who want to keep UFO's a secret. That is what I think. I don't know if it happened, I was not there, but this is not an isolated experience. UFO's are spotted all the time throughout the world.

I also posted the article because I came upon and remembered that the thread on AA was empty and so I posted the article to give it some life.
    Perhaps there are other articles on the subject, but I have not searched for any; it was the first one I found on the topic.